The Pine Plains Free Library is looking for a part-time clerk to join our team at the circulation desk approximately 10 hrs a week, 2pm-7pm Thursdays and Fridays. Additional hours may occasionally be required to cover vacations, sick time, etc.
SUMMARY: Under supervision of the Library Director, performs a variety of library duties and interfaces with patrons in providing public and technical library services and performs related duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Interface with patrons in rendering public and technical library services
- Provide excellent customer service both in person and over the phone
- Perform circulation desk duties; use an automated system (Sierra) to check out and check in library materials
- Register new patrons
- Assist patrons with reader’s advisory requests; furnish information about books, authors, and publishers; interpret and resolve questions regarding library circulation policies
- Collect fines and fees and reconcile cash
- Operate and assist patrons with a variety of office equipment including computer software, scanners, photocopiers, fax machines, and printers.
- Shelve books, shelf read to ensure proper organization, and help keep library neat and organized
Education, Training and Experience Guidelines:
High school diploma OR GED equivalent AND one (1) year of recent experience in customer service. (Experience in a public library preferred.)
- Dewey Decimal system
- Filing methods and record-keeping to maintain accurate information in alphabetical, chronological, and/or numerical order; and standard library clerical practices
- General computer literacy and comfort with modern technology, specifically with regard to PCs – Microsoft Word, printing, viewing and printing PDFs, e-mail, simple troubleshooting, etc.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed in a library setting and in close proximity to other workers and volunteers. Physical demands are moderate, consisting primarily of sitting, standing, walking, lifting, and carrying moderately heavy boxes of books up to 50 lbs and/or using a cart to transport boxes.
The Pine Plains Free Library is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made as required.
This position is for approximately 10 hours a week at $10.40/hour.
To apply, send a cover letter & resume to Veronica Stork at email@example.com
Deadline to apply: Tuesday, February 13th.